dairy-free & yeast-free
¾ cup (200 ml) honey
rind from 2 lemons, grated finely
½ cup (125 ml) freshly-squeezed orange juice
½ cup dried apricots, chopped
3 organic or free-range eggs, lightly whisked with fork
3½ cups (875 ml) stone-ground oat flour
1 tsp (5 ml) bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp (30ml) cream of tartar
¼ tsp (1 ml) unrefined salt
1 cup (250 ml) macadamia or pecan nuts, sliced
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C
2. In a saucepan, melt honey, lemon rind, orange juice and apricots for 8 minutes over a low heat, cool and add the eggs.
3. Sift the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl, add the nuts and fold in the honey mixture.
4. Divide the batter in 2 and pour into 2 greased and floured flat baking pans (25 x 30 cm).
5. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
6. Cool and then slice thinly into biscotti strips.
7. Dry overnight at 70°C with the oven door ajar
Make rusks when making biscotti to dry out simultaneously, thus saving energy