gluten-free; sugar-free & yeast-free
2 teaspoons (10 ml) cumin seeds
2 teaspoons (10 ml) coriander seeds
1 teaspoon (5 ml) black mustard seeds
1 teaspoon (5 ml) turmeric, ground
2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive or macadamia nut oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, sliced
2 celery stalks and leaves, chopped
2 teaspoons (10 ml) fresh root ginger, grated
4 tablespoons (60 ml) pea, chickpea or oat flour
8 free-range or organic chicken thighs, skins removed
400 ml coconut milk
½ cup (125 ml) plain yoghurt
2 tablespoons (30 ml) fresh coriander, chopped
1 tablespoon (15 ml) freshly-squeezed lemon juice
½ cup (125 ml) almonds, toasted
1 teaspoon (5 ml) sea or rock salt, or to taste
a pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
2. Brown the chicken in a saucepan in the olive oil and then add the onion, garlic and celery and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until the onions are soft.
3. Add the ground seeds, ginger and flour and toss for 1 minute.
4. Add the coconut milk, bring to the boil and then simmer gently for 45 minutes or until cooked.
5. Allow to cool slightly and stir in the yoghurt, coriander, lemon juice, almonds, and season.
6. Serve with green vegetables and brown rice.