dairy-free; gluten-free; sugar-free & yeast-free
4 red beets
3 golden beets
2 large carrots
1 large onion
1 bunch of spring onions
3 to 4 cloves of garlic
7 cm section of ginger root
sea or rock salt
handful of dulse
1 jalapeno – if you like it hot
1. Chop up all the vegetables in a food processor, except the dulse and Jalapeno.
2. Place in a large bowl and squeeze with your hands or a meat hammer to release the juices.
3. Add a big handful of dulse as you are working the vegetables. Add salt to taste.
4. At the very end, chop up the Jalapeno, after removing the seeds, and mix it in with the other vegetables, being careful not to get it on your hands – it will temporarily make the skin burn for a while.
5. Put ingredients in a sterilized 2 litre ball glass jar leaving 7 cm at the top. With a gravy ladle, push the veggies down until their juices rise to the top.
6. Cover with a lid. Store at room temperature – below 20 °C. Check the jar every day, pushing the vegetables under the liquid. Alternatively, place a pounder on the vegetables to push them down under the liquid.
7.Taste as you go. In 1 to 2 weeks, they will be done. The longer they ferment the better they taste.