dairy-free; gluten-free; sugar-free (if using xylitol) & yeast-free
These are the perfect guilt-free tea time treat for the whole family
½ cup (125ml) ground flax seed powder
½ cup (125ml) purified water
400g tin of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
¼ cup (60ml) olive oil
½ cup (125ml) raw honey, xylitol or unrefined sugar
¼ cup (60ml) psyllium husks, teff or sorghum flour
½ cup (125ml) desiccated coconut or ground almonds
½ cup (125ml) pecan or walnuts (optional)
½ cup (125ml) carob or cacao powder
1 heaped tsp (7ml) bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp (15ml) fresh lemon juice
100 g dairy-free chocolate, roughly chopped into chunks
½ tsp (2ml) sea salt
1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 ̊C and lightly grease and line a baking tin (approx. 23cm)
- Mix ground flax seed with water and set aside to thicken.
- Place the beans in a food processor and blend at high speed for 10 seconds.
- Scrape down the sides and blend for another 10 seconds.
- Add all ingredients to blender except the chocolate chunks and blend at medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Add the chocolate chunks to the blender and blend on medium speed for 15 seconds.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and then bake in the oven for 60 minutes, opening halfway to cover the brownies loosely in foil.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool down until just warm.
- Can be served as a warm pudding with home-made ice-cream or slice and cool down.